Music Player Daemon (MPD) allows remote access for playing music (MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, Mod, and wave files) and managing playlists. MPD is designed for integrating a computer into a stereo system that provides control for music playback over a local network. It’s a great solution to link a headless computer system to your audio installation.
The iPhone or iPod Touch makes for an ideal companion to MPD with the introduction of MPoD. An intuitive and great looking interface makes it very easy to browse through a large collection of songs (20.000+), and find the album or song that you want to hear.
MPoD can also be used with a variety of standard players, like Bryston BDP-1, Vortexbox, AudioGlu, AudioAanZee Premium Flow and Ultra Flow.
In the spirit of MPD and open source software, MPoD is available free of charge from the AppStore. There is also a specialized version for the iPad: MPaD.
The following features are available from MPoD:
- Connects to your MPD server over TCP/IP.
- Automatically find MPD servers that make themselves know via Bonjour/Zeroconf.
- Supports the use of a password for making a connection to the server.
- Store multiple connection profiles.
- Fast application startup.
- Now playing screen shows active playlist and playing song.
- Cover art from Discogs, Amazon or local http server.
- Volume control.
- Move to previous, next song.
- Move to any song in active playlist.
- Playlist editing (moving and removing songs).
- Seek in song.
- Toggle random, repeat.
- Stream mp3 (not ogg) directly to iPhone via icecast server or mpd (v0.15 or above).
- Play random album or random songs by shaking your iPhone.
- List of artists with drilldown to albums and songs.
- Option to hide artists that only appear on compilation albums.
- List of albums with drilldown to songs.
- Option to group songs into albums based on server directory.
- List of songs, which also displays artist and album for each song.
- All lists are searchable.
- List of all playlists.
- Save the active playlist into a saved playlist.
- Choice between ‘add to active playlist’ or ‘replace active playlist’.
- Support for last.fm.
- Different options to add tracks to the playlist: play now, play next, play only, append to playlist.
- Support for last.fm.
- Full screen mode with large cover art introduced with version 2.0.
- Full iOS7 compatibility introduced with version 2.1.